- My name is Mark Johnson. People call me Mark Johnson.
- I’ve played drums with the Rockets since June, 2007. My instruments are: Pearl Pro DLX Series, a 1969 Rogers Dynasonic Snare, and Zildjian Cymbals. My favorite drummers on the local scene include (in no particular order) Jim Matthews, Maurice Hagood, Greg Kempner, Steve Hockersmith, Kim Kimble, Clay Thompson, Roger Reynolds, Ted Siebs, Mike McCarroll, B.J.Davis, Paul Edmonson, Ty Corbett, Larry Brooks and Chuck Robertson. Nationally, I admire Bernard Purdie, Richie Hayward, Simon Phillips, Bill Bruford, Pat Mastelotto, Ricky Fataar, John Guerin, Carlos Vega, and Rick Allen.
- I am married to Kathleen Johnson, who is most fond of Def Leppard, wild life, wild flowers, and Sushi, her precious pug! Our kids are: Lauren, who is engaged to Aldo, and excited about their upcoming marriage; Reid, who is now involved in a full time career as a cytotech and living in San
Antonio; and Kyle, a senior at UCA and successfully studying the environmental sciences, in addition to being an avid sportsman, musician, and chef when he is back at home with us.
- I am a product of the Little Rock Public School System, Centenary College of Louisiana, and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
- My early local band affiliations include E. Bartlett, Gibraltar, Snickers, and the KSSN Bandits. My “straight gigs” have included retail sales, sound recording, manufacturer’s rep, and since 1989 investment advisor rep (wanna rollover your 401(k)?)
- My favorite foods are anything Mexican, or anything I’ve flipped over a hot grill a few times.
- My favorite colors are burgundy, dark blue, and white.
- My favorite comedians have always been those who appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show Norm Crosby, Rich Little, John Byner, The Smothers Brothers, etc…before comics felt their material had to be network-bleepable to be funny.
- I have been blessed and fortunate to meet a great number of musicians whom I’ve admired and respected, including Robert Plant, Phil Collins, Bryan Adams, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, Roscoe Beck, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Al diMeola, Vince Gill, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Bela Fleck, Bill Champlin, Danny Seraphin, Delbert McClinton, Jimmy Buffet, Phil Collen, Rick Allen, and Tower of Power plus some others I can’t recall. But hey, some of these guys probably don’t remember me, either.
- The most influential persons in my life have been my parents, Glen and Clarice Johnson. I will forever thank them for the exemplary way they lived their lives together, as I attempt to provide the same legacy to my children.
- Something I’m most proud of: Since 2003, I’ve been enthusiastically involved with the planning and administration of “Hornucopia” concerts at Juanita’s Cantina Ballroom, which benefit “Play It Again, Arkansas”. PIAA is coordinated through the State of Arkansas Education Department, and provides band instruments (new and refurbished) for young people who wish to participate in high school orchestras. I feel music should be enjoyed by anyone who wants to learn to play, because in so doing, they can greatly improve their personal creativity and learning skills.