- My nicknames are “Boom-Boom” and “Mighty Mark.”
- I am a singer/guitarist/keyboard player. I started formal music training
as a brass player.
- I have owned all kinds of stuff, mostly guitars, amps, effects pedals,
- My current amp setup is a Peavey Transformer 112, one of the
products I helped design for Peavey Electronics. My main stage guitar is
a Peavey Reactor. I own several other guitars and amps.
- My favorite three bands or musical artists are: The Beatles, The Eagles
and Henri Mancini.
- My actual first “paid” gig was in 1967 (we each made $9 at a youth
dance in a small town in rural Arkansas).
- My wife Marla and I were married in August of 1990; we have 3 dogs:
In “real life,” I teach science at a middle school, play music, write songs
and look for the best in people.
- My favorite foods are Chinese, veggies (especially spinach, broccoli,
squash, and eggplant), barbeque, Mexican (enchiladas), eggs, turkey
and cheese, and ribs cooked by my friend Rocky.
- Some things most people don’t know about me: I have designed
jewelry and I collect obsolete musical technologies (wire-recorder/Victrola/
old tube amps). I have been named an Arkansas Traveler by two governors.
- The most interesting people I have met: musicians: Henry Mancini/Hartley Peavey/Steve Cropper/Derek Trucks/John Hartford/Bill Withers/Ranger Doug/Furry Lewis/Jeff “Skunk” Baxter/Willie Nelson/Earl Scruggs/Peter “Madcat” Ruth/Dweezil Zappa/Gregg Allman/Leon Russell/Steve Martin/Jim Croce: non-musicians: Bill Clinton/Sid McMath/Winthrop Rockefeller/Leo Fender/Robert Moog.
- I have played shows with: the Amazing Rhythm Aces, Delbert McClinton, Willie Nelson, Michael Martin Murphy, Wet Willie, Jim Croce, Ritchie Havens, Asleep at the Wheel, Greg Khin, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bill Withers, Ted Nugent, Paul Davis, Dave Loggins, Steve Cropper, Gregg Allman, Dr. Hook, Olivia Newton-John, Melissa Manchester, the Oak Ridge Boys, the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose, Sea Level, John Hiatt, Jimmy Buffet, the Drifters, the Coasters, the Arkansas Symphony, Dr. John, the Staple Singers, Jerry Jeff Walker, Earl Scruggs Revue, the Guess Who, Pure Prairie League, and many others as a solo artist or as a member of the St. James Group, Grumpy Old Men, Silverheels, Power Supply or Chicken Head Mike.
- My favorite colors are: Black for guitar straps and blue for the sky.
- My favorite comedians are: Dave Chappell, Firesign Theatre, Monty Python, and Richard Pryor.
- Weird thing from my past: I have been knocked out by band-related electricity at least twice and by non-band related flying/falling objects at least eight times, that I can remember…