Clifford Wayne Hawkins
- My nicknames are “Poochie” (before 1971) and “da Hawk” (thereafter).
- I play trumpet and flugelhorn, and sing lead and backup vocals.
- My current instrument setup includes Bach Stradivarius trumpet (French Besson, backup) and Jupiter flugelhorn.
- My favorite three musical artists are: Al Jarreau, James Brown, and The Bar Kays.
- In 1963, I auditioned for the R.L. Foxx “Jungle Band.” I played at the Jungle Inn on West Hwy. 70 between West Memphis and Forrest City, then spent the next 6 years playing the old Top Hat Club in Blackfish, Arkansas, as well as other honky-tonks in and around Memphis and
- Although I have previously tasted of the cup of wedded bliss, I am currently single.
- In “real life,” I work in the Little Rock School District (LRSD) as a paraprofessional at Henderson Middle School; I’ve also been summer supervisor for “Healthy Teens,” a division of Southeast Arkansas Health Group in Pine Bluff, for the past 5 summers.
- My favorite food and drink are chicken, Heinekens, and Crown Royal.
- Something most people don’t know about me: I was a crackhead for 10 years before recovering in 1995. I love to cook (my specialty is Soul Food, especially fried chicken).
- The most interesting people I have met: Duke Ellington and James Brown.
- I have jammed with, or played onstage or in the studio with: Bill Withers, Bobby Bland, Donald Byrd, Larry Dotson (of The Bar Kays), Lenny Williams, Frank Zappa, Duke Ellington.
- My favorite colors are blue, black and red.
- My favorite comedians are Richard Pryor, Bernie Mac, Dave Chappell, Don DC Curry.
- Weird things from my past: I spent 6 months on Paris Island, South Carolina, as a marine recruit. I had run away from home in 1968 at the age of 16. I was considered, briefly, as a possible member of The Bar Kays, but my physical image (I was fat) didn’t jive with the band’s image. (note that I am now a member of The Rockets, who have no such weight restrictions!)